Pachelbel Canon in D for Solo Violin

I hadn’t realised that I had forgotten to upload this to my site. This is an arrangement I had made of Pachelbel’s Canon in D, arranged for Solo Violin. It is much adapted and abridged, and makes use of double stops to make the illusion of multiple voices in some parts, while reverting to single lines where necessary. Uses only the “interesting” parts.

This arrangement is © 2006 Ben Clapton, however I do give permission for this piece to be performed anywhere in the world, for whatever purpose (busking, weddings etc) on the sole condition that I be notified by e-mail to mail@benclapton.id.au or as a comment to this post as to the location (City, Country) that it will be performed in. Comments about the arrangement are always welcome, but please – constructive criticism or praise only.

This arrangement has been performed in places such as the US, UK, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia.

Download Ben Clapton’s arrangement of Pachelbel’s Canon in D for solo violin.Download Pachelbel’s Canon for Solo Violin

The map below shows the locations that this piece has been performed.

Advertisements

52 Comments Add yours

1. Chi says:

Hi Ben,

That was a great arrangement of Canon in D for solo violin. I also heard a similar version arrangement but some added on stuff to it. However, I am unable to transcribe or provide any clue as to what the violinist did to it. He didn’t play the entire plece but it provided enough clues to what he did to make it a wonderful arrangement of this piece. If you keen, I can give you the link and perhaps you have a better idea as to what he did.

Regards
    Chi

1. XxSillhouettexX (not my real name) says:

Please send me a link. I play the violin and I just absolutley love this song it just really touches my heart and I really want to play it.

If there is a version of Canon in D that would be appropriate for a girl like me who has been playing violin for 3 years now. Just to make it a little easier for me to play.

1. Ben Clapton says:

Hi Silhouette,
        The link to the music is in the post. You’ll probably find it right for your level if you take out the double stops. Unfortunately, I’m not in a position to do that (time is very short for me at the moment). However, if you ask your teacher, I’m sure they’ll be able to help. They’ll also be able to recommend other music for you – without actually hearing you play, I won’t know what level you’re at, so I can’t recommend pieces that will be good for you.
        However, if you go to ViolinMasterclass.com, there is a great repertoir tool there which will give you suggestions based on other pieces you’ve played. Figure out what level you’re at and you’ll get etudes, solos, violin and piano and violin and orchestra suggestions of what else you could play.

2. Ellie Fregni says:

Hi Ben,
      Thanks for the great arrangement!
      This will be performed in Chanhassen, MN on June 10th.
      Ellie Fregni

2. lauren says:

Charlottesville, VA

This is great – thanks!! : )

3. Brandi says:

Hi, I just happened upon your website while searching for wedding music! I love that it is Christ centered. Is there any way I can get ahold of this piece? Do you already have it recorded? I love violin music but don’t have anyone who could play it. Is there a place where I could download or buy it? Please email me if that is the case. Thank you and Lord bless you!

4. Ashley says:

Springfield, PA

5. Michelle says:

I will be getting engaged soon, and I really want one of my friends who plays the violin to play an unaccompanied violin solo of Canon in D at my wedding. It would be really special, but it is so hard to find one. So thank you for posting this! We are hoping to get married in December of 2011 in Doylestown, Pennsylvania. Your site seems great, I love that it is a Christian blog!

Thanks!

6. Daina Trethewey says:

This looks good. I HOPE to learn it in time for a wedding in Cootamundra, Australia, this weekend.
    Thanks a heap.

7. JLG says:

Thanks for posting this arrangement! I’ll be playing it as part of a violin/guitar duet at a wedding this coming Sunday in Bryan, Texas, USA. It’s an outdoor wedding, so I’d best print the thing on a laser printer so my sweat won’t smear the notes…

8. Michael says:

Thanks for this wonderful arrangement! i am hoping to play this in a wedding in around 2-3 months in Melbourne, Australia! This arrangement is perfect for the kind of wedding they wanted (solo violin only =P)

9. Violin Guy says:

Thanks for this lovely arrangement. I think it would be very nice at a wedding.

10. Lily says:

Thanks for this arrangement, I will be playing this at my brothers wedding.
    London, UK

11. Erika says:

Hello! Thank you for making this arrangement. I’ll be playing it at my sister-in-law’s wedding in Bishop, CA in two weeks! 🙂 I had been awfully worried about how to make a Canon all by my lonesome until now!

12. Ophelia says:

Thank you for this lovely arrangement!

13. XxSillhouettexX (not my real name) says:

Any 6th grade level Violin music?

I am a 6th grader 12 years old. I have been playing Violin since I was in 3rd grade. So I am a 3rd year Violinist. Please give me links of names of music for a 6th grader to play on the violin. Thanks! 🙂

~Violin is my heart and soul~

14. Vicky says:

New Zealand

I look forward to performing this.

Thanks

1. Ben Clapton says:

Thanks Vicky. I hope that you and your family and friends are safe.

15. Bon says:

Hi,

Thanks so much for this! Am playing this at a friend’s ring ceremony in Manly, Sydney this Saturday. I was worried as she couldn’t find anyone to accompany me, so I feel a lot better about playing this solo now!

16. Sarah R. says:

Thank you very much for posting this arrangement. I intend to use it for a wedding in Irvine, CA, USA, and think that the double stops and strategic editing will make it sound much richer and less bare than it often does when performed solo or duo.

Again, my thanks!

17. Jules says:

New York City, New York, USA

Thank you so much for posting your arrangement! I will be using it for busking :-).

18. Alexandra says:

Hi!
    Thanks for doing a solo violin arrangement. It’s great to have for weddings when I can’t get my entire quartet together, I can just play myself. It’s a good arrangement as well!
    All the best,
    AB

19. Daley says:

Valencia, CA for my cousin’s wedding

Thanks for saving me some time on putting one together myself. This sounds great!

20. Whitle11g says:

hi.
    i’ll be performing this in malaysia for my family.

21. J. Blasi says:

Thank you for this arrangement! I was getting ready to do something similar when I found your arrangement, and decided not to reinvent the wheel. I’ll be playing it at a wedding next month near Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA.

22. I’ll be playing a slight adaptation of your arrangement at a wedding in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA on June 3, 2012.

23. Abigail Nash says:

Thank you so much for this beautiful arrangement! I will be using it to play in a wedding in Penobscot Maine this summer! The bride asked me to play solo violin Canon in D and I was going to tell her it couldn’t be done, but now that I see this arrangement she will be so pleased! I also love that this blog is Christ-centered. God bless and thank you again.

24. Thank you so much for making your arrangement available to everyone. I will be playing it at a wedding on June 16, 2012, in St. Michael, MN, USA.

25. Caitlin says:

Thank you for this arrangement. I will use it in Minneapolis, Minnesota, for a wedding in September.

26. Amy says:

My kids are going to perform this piece in Rochester, NY in a wedding september 1, 2012. Thanks for the arrangement!

27. Sarah P says:

So glad to find an arrangement for solo violin! I will playing this at a wedding in Lansing, MI in a few weeks.

28. Alex C says:

Thanks for the arrangement. I will be playing this for a wedding in Dallas, TX in December.

29. RV says:

Thank you! I’ll be using this at a wedding proposal (!) in Sydney, Australia.

1. Ben Clapton says:

Fantastic! Hope it went well!

30. mary beth says:

Thank you! Last-minute savior for a wedding in two days in Maryland, USA!

31. Vero says:

Great arrangement. Will be used at a wedding in Seattle, WA

32. Daniel says:

Nice arrangement. I took it down an octave and will be playing it on cello at my cousin’s wedding in Houston, TX.

33. elizabeth says:

this is a very beautiful version; i love the double stops. it will be played in the american south for a multi-cultural wedding ceremony in the most beautiful park in our city, a lake surrounded by colourful azalea blossoms, bright white dogwood tree blossoms, mossy cedar trees dripping in lacy spanish moss, and most of all, LOVE! ~thank you~

34. Katrin says:

Thanks so much for this arrangement! I am going to play it in Portland, OR on April 27th.

35. Peter says:

Provo, UT, for a high school philharmonic tryout.

36. Yvette says:

Thank you for sharing this! I will be playing it at a wedding this May, @ Wijk bij Duurstede, the Netherlands

37. Georgie says:

Thanks. I’ll be playing at a friends wedding in St Ives (UK)

38. Ivana Clifford says:

I just wanted to say thanks for making this arrangement for Canon in D!! It’s a very beautiful arrangement and I’ve played it while busking at times at the 7 Eleven in Edgewood, MD 🙂 ❤

39. Rachael Ross says:

Hello there. I may be playing this arrangement at an outside wedding in Michigan, which will be taking place this summer. I haven’t played through it yet, so we shall see. Thank you very much 🙂

40. Amy says:

Hi I’ll be playing this at a restaurant gig on Valentines, Auckland, New Zealand. Thanks for this arrangement!

41. Cecilia Garcia says:

Thank you for this arrangement, I will be playing it in Minneapolis weddings!

42. Ben, THANK YOU for your generosity in posting this version! I am playing at a wedding this Saturday, June 27th, in Brandywine PA at the Brandywine River Museum, also called the Wyeth Museum. I am playing as a gift for the wedding of a friend’s son. This friend just had a kidney replacement and her only son is a great young man who was adopted by our friends from a young and scared pregnant teen. It’s been a long road for them and that’s a long way of saying this is a meaningful event and the version I had arranged myself was a bit thin without harmonies in parts. Thank you for taking the time to write and to post this.
    I’ve been to Australia once and NZ 4 times (preferred the latter for revisits, but loved Coober Pedy and Uluru!)
    Cheers!

43. Katie says:

Sydney, Australia!

Thanks for the arrangement Ben!

44. Samo says:

Thanks for the great arrangement, Ben! I’ll be playing it on a wedding in Ptuj, Slovenia.

45. Peter Aupperle says:

This is an excellent arrangement for solo violin- thank you! I plan to play it at my niece’s wedding on Long Island, New York, USA. Thank you again!

46. Dinis Pacheco says:

Hello
    I’ll preform this piece in a wedding in Silves, Portugal (it’s my first time playing in a wedding, and I’m not a professional. I just have some formation).
    Thank you for making this arrangement public!

47. Dawn Hui says:

Thank you for the arrangement. I’ll be playing it at a colleague’s wedding in Montego Bay, Jamaica.